Sunday, December 27, 2009

Reinforcing the 2nd Amendment

There are many reasons why Americans feel the need to preserve and protect the right to bear arms, such as: deterring undemocratic government, repelling invasion, suppressing insurrection, facilitating a natural right of self-defense, participating in law enforcement, etc. Today we had fun preserivng our rights granted under the Constitution. It's always nice to have fun fulfilling one's civic duty. Today we did just that: we introduced the young Clark cousins to firearms.



We (Papa, Matt, Jolene, Megan, and I) took Lilly, Morgan, Sierra, and Boden to the range to introduce them to firearms.  We had a great time and several men thanked us for bringing kids out to the range to introduce them to firearms the right way.  I guess I just took it for granted that most kids would have a proper introduction and instruction using firearms, but after thinking about it more, I guess our society generally introduces children and adolescents to firearms the wrong way: through violent media.  Before I start "going off", I want to recap how the kids did as some of the kiddos had experienced using a firearm previously, while others had not.

Lilly had reservations about shooting, but after seeing Morgan use the child-sized .22 rifle, she decided she wanted to try. After firing 10 or so rounds, she kept asking, "Five more?"  See below for how they ended up doing.





Sierra and Boden also did very well.  See below for how they ended up doing.


No comments: