Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Great Smoky Mountains: Day 3

Wednesday was fun.  The day started with a quick breakfast after a night of drenching rain.  Everyone slept soundly and stayed dry; which is a defininte plus.  By dry, I meant, no one got wet from all the rain that fell during the night.  I guess I should be even more grateful that the kids all stayed dry during the night from all the bodily fluids that could reak havoc to a camping trip.  I'll take water over vomit, urine, diahrea, and blood any day.  All of these have most assuredly been experienced during one or more campouts in the past though, so our dues have been paid.

After breakfast, we headed off to the stables.  Again, it was quite a drive.  I should have looked at the distance to the stables from our camp before making the reservation, because it took us over an hour to drive to the stables from our camp!  When we arrived, we all got to ride in an open air carriage, whcih was pulled by a Percheron Draft horse named "Rob".  Rob was huge.  He was a beautiful animal, though mostly we saw hir rear end.  The carriage fit 8 people (6 in the back with 2 in the front: driver & shotgun).  The ride took us alongside a river.



After the carriage ride, Melissa, Lillian, and Morgan went on a trail ride that ended up going through a river.  Melissa said her horse tripped while crossing the river ans almost dumped her in the water.  She ended up with one foot in the water, but a soggy shoe is better than complete immersion!











3 comments:

Livin La Vida Keto said...

That looks absolutely fabulous!! We wish we were closer so we could all go together. The kids are getting so big! Hello to Melissa for me.

Grandpa Howe said...

I am so jealous!

Ryan and Lori said...

What fun pictures of the wildlife and the fun of your trip. The mountains may not be as high, but the forests are teeming with the animals and vegitation. The horseback riding would be great! What an impressive hike with even the youngest...and I'm sure so many good memories will live on with them and this trip. So fun!