Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sleepin' Through Church

Today was one of those days you have to write about for fear off forgetting the experience, and it was too rich to forget. We got up this morning, had breakfast, looked at old pictures (a favorite past-time of ours) and then later in the morning, got ready to attend church. Our church services start at 1:00PM, which typically is pretty good, because the kids have already eaten lunch, and Dan usually falls asleep on the way to church, so it's more pleasant for us all. On days when he doesn't fall asleep, he personifies a tornado on one's lap. That's why we call him the "Lap Tornado". If you've seen a tornado, or at least the aftermath, the imagery is close to what it's like after Dan "rips" through. In fact, I've started wearing a bow-tie to church because the long neck ties create an occupational hazard. (Not kidding!)

At any rate, today was no different. Dan was asleep when we got to church. Great! However, halfway through Sacrament Meeting (the main worship service), ALL our kids were asleep! Yep every last one of them. Morgan was leaning over on my leg. I had Dan in my lap. Lilly was snuggled into Melissa's shoulder. And Kate was busy drooling on Melissa's leg. Melissa and I looked at each other and we just chuckled silently.

We've talked on more than one occasion about whether 'sleeping though church' is okay, but are always reminded mentally of the words of President Spencer Kimball: "When I was a very small boy, I was taught the habit of going to sacrament meetings. Mother always took me with her. Those warm afternoons I soon became drowsy and leaned over on her lap to sleep. I may not have learned much from the sermons, but I learned the habit of “going to meeting.” The habit stayed with me through my life. (“Chapter 16: The Sabbath—A Delight,” Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Spencer W. Kimball, (2006),165–77)"

So I guess it's okay if a kid did it and turned out to be a prophet!

As a final note, after church, Lilly asked how we knew she was sleeping because she was pretty sure she wasn't actually asleep. Melissa told her, "Lilly, you were snoring. I had to nudge you periodically to keep you from snoring too loud!"

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

How funny. That happened to us once back when we had church in the late afternoon but the kids were a lot younger, and Ryan was included!