Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Chicks Have Arrived!

We all know what it's like to wait for Christmas as it approaches... the yearning, the anticipation, the suspense of what may lie in those sparkly colored packages that sit beneath the evergreen. That feeling has made it's way into our home a second time in one year. We've been waiting for our chickens for some time now. At first it was the wait for the hatchery to announce the hatching of the spring chicks, then after discovering the huge cost of shipping live animals overnight, we realized we had to go local. Thus the waiting again for "C.T. Garvins" to place the spring chick order. "Garvins" is our favorite of the local feed & seed stores... and is almost on the list of historic places in Huntsville. At any rate, yesterday, Garvins called to tell me that the chicks were in.
We were in the midst of breakfast and I guess the girls overheard the conversation, so by the time I got back into the kitchen, Dan was sitting alone. What's going on? I thought. Then the girls popped out fully dressed, hair done, etc and said, we're ready to go Dad! I couldn't help but laugh. So we went off to Garvins to get our chicks. We ordered 5 White Leghorns (yes, like Foghorn Leghorn on Loony Tunes), and 5 Rhode Island Reds. Turned out, they had already been vaccinated and everything, so I paid $3/each, and we were off.

So without further delay, here's a pict:





3 comments:

Grandpa Howe said...

COOL! Ah say. Very, very cool!

Unknown said...

That is so cool! I want chickens too.

Benjamin said...

That's just what you need, Josh. More chicks in your house!