If I steal and get caught doing so, the authorities (my parents, the government) help me learn that stealing is not okay in our society by imposing a penalty on me. Maybe the penalty is a fine, or perhaps even jail time. Whatever the method, there’s a consequence that discourages me from repeating the same socially unacceptable behavior. This consequence also discourages others from following my behavior. Our society is based upon this practice of enforcing standards of conduct. We typically call this practice the ‘rule of law’. It’s a good practice to live by. Most people in the world would agree.
We teach our children that the rule of law is what makes our society a nice, safe place to live. We teach them that negative consequences follow bad behavior so that we learn from mistakes. We would consider someone a bad parent if they allowed their teenager to act irresponsibly without imposing some negative consequence as a result. We would likewise consider someone a bad parent if they remove the natural negative consequences that follow bad or irresponsible behavior.
So I’m confused now. Because there are a number of people who’ve acted irresponsibly with their future and now the government is removing the natural negative consequences that should follow such irresponsible behavior. Individuals that borrowed too much money for a house they couldn’t afford are one example. They blame lenders just as my child might blame her sibling, “But she tricked me into doing it!” Banks, automakers, the list goes on. They all seem to have some valid excuse or someone to else to blame. The reality is, each is to blame. Each needs to be held responsible for their irresponsible practices & decisions by suffering the natural consequences. If we try to escape the consequences of our decisions or allow others to, the truth is, we’re doomed to repeat the same irresponsible practices & decisions. We’ll never learn.
But the consequences hurt too much! The consequences would affect too many others! Others will see and think poorly of us! Who cares! The consequences will most assuredly hurt more next time.
I urge everyone to exercise wisdom and reject proposed legislation or action that prevents us or others from learning from mistakes. Tell the government to not give my money away to people and/or businesses that need to learn from their poor choices. Allow the natural consequences to teach and we will learn.
2018
2 days ago
5 comments:
I wish I could just walk away from our house in Tucson and "let the bank have it", or take a "quick sale" and wash my hands of that responsibility.....But if everybody did that then the real estate market would plumit and people would have a hard time gettting a construction loan, oh wait that has already happened :(
Amen, my darling daughters. AMEN!
While I do agree with the sentiment in this post, I did not write it. Joshua accidentally posted as me. I hope Dad still thinks I'm a darling daughter!
Whether Josh or you, Melissa, I agree with you both 100%. There are a few sad cases at the bottom end of the spectrum in the economic classes where the effect of this housing crisis on those who were doing their best within their means are now upside down with no way out after the downturn. My heart goes out to those people, and they'd be the first I hope are getting some help from friends, family, or others to get by but the government must stay out of the "helping hands" arena. It's not their right to give what isn't first in their delegated authority to give. Good post, Clarks!
Amen!
Post a Comment